12 ways to increase your productivity
16 October 2014, Blog
Whether your business is large or small, productivity is key to its success. It not only boosts your business, it’s also good for staff morale too.
Here are 12 ways to increase your productivity and add hours to your day:
1. Take a break. Shoot for working in short bursts at your most productive times. With regular, periodic breaks included into a working day, employees are actually 13% more accurate in their work, which translates into better efficiency. Some companies, like Google, even have a dedicated room where their employees can take a quick power nap!
2. Set a timer for each task on your to do list. Your goals must be timed, meaning that they must be broken down into smaller short-term objectives that lead to medium and long-term goals. With an understanding of the bigger picture you are working towards, you will be better equipped to more effectively manage your time.
3. Distractions should be avoided, but sometimes a bit of music in the background can help you focus. Maybe not heavy rock music, but a bit of Beethoven may do you some good.
4. Love what you do. Enjoying what you do is the ultimate way to increase productivity – channel what you love into your work.
5. Complete your most dreaded tasks first thing in the morning. Whichever activity you are dreading the most is probably the one you need to complete. Procrastination is the biggest time waster.
6. Everyone has a certain time of day when they are most productive than others. Find out when your prime time is and optimise your work schedule accordingly. Ask yourself, “Which item on this list will have the biggest positive impact if I get it finished tomorrow?” Circle that item and write #1 next to it. Pick your second, third and fourth most critical items and label them accordingly.
7. Write a blog to chronicle your own personal development and achievements. This helps you channel your goals in a constructive way by working towards self-improvement and personal growth.
8. Write out a to-do list each day. Or even the night before. That way, you get started on the most important tasks as soon as you wake up.
9. As you go through your day, repeatedly ask yourself, “Am I currently making the best possible use of my time?” This one simple question can be an excellent boost to your productivity.
10. Organise your office. The piles of paper around your desk can be a huge barrier to your productivity. Organise your office, set up a system, and dump the junk. Clear your desk, clear your mind.
11. Get plenty of sleep. When you have a hectic work schedule, sleep can become a long lost memory. However, it’s important to get plenty of sleep so that your working hours can be as productive as possible.
12. Exercise. Research has shown that midday exercise boosts productivity and morale in the workplace. Take a short walk at lunch to help clear your mind and focus on the job in hand.
Written by PR Account Manager, Sofia Costa.